Thursday, December 6, 2012

Freedom of Speech

It has been a while since my last post. There has been a lot that has happened, but I have been questioning the direction that I want my blog to follow.  The goal of this blog has always been to provide people with information about Tajikistan.  I assume most people had only heard of Tajikistan by name only, maybe some people had a little bit more knowledge if they had been to the Tea House in Boulder. However, I want to be able to be able to speak my mind and tell my family and friends what life is like here.  This includes the positives and the negatives, however it's hard to post some of the more delicate issues.  Last week, Facebook was banned in Tajikistan.  It has been blocked because the government felt like there were too many people criticizing their polices on Facebook and next year the president is up for reelection. I don't keep this blog secret from anybody, so I have to assume that even the government reads my blogs (ok, I don't want to flatter myself to say that they read this, but I do live across the street from the KGB) but I want to make sure that I am not being slanderous or sound like I am defaming the government in anyway and end up in a Tajik jail or worse.

Since arriving here, I definitely have tried to watch what I say about Tajikistan to my friends and family.  With the blocking of facebook, it reminds me how truly wonderful it is to live in a country where I can express my opinions openly, honestly, and without fear.  If you want to hear all the details of Tajikistan, the good and the bad, I will sit down with you and have a good ole' cup of starbucks and tell the truth.  For now, I will keep trying to update this blog with some of my experiences and knowledge about Tajikistan and trying to keep a somewhat positive spin on life here.




1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are doing OK. If you look for the positives, you will find them and vice versa. Enjoy your stay, as they always seem to go so fast.

    Love Dale and Rochelle

    ReplyDelete