Sunday, January 6, 2013

Things that I miss about first world countries

I have been in Germany for the past few weeks and it has been a fantastic trip! I was able to spend some much needed time in a 1st world country and see my amazing family and friends.  I think I needed a break from the Dush. While I was walking around Germany, I decided to think of all the nice things that I miss about living in a first world country.
1. Drinking straight from the tap.
2. Not worrying about having power or heat in my apartment.
3. Knowing that there is a price tag on an item and EVERYONE pays the same thing for this particular item.  The higher "white person" price doesn't exist.
4. Staying out past 8pm.
5. Eating pork (okay this isn't a 1st world vs 3rd world country but it is nice to be a place where I can buy pork since Tajikistan is mostly muslim and they don't eat pork.)
6. Going into a store and having more than one size for an item.
7. Not getting strange looks everywhere I go.

It seemed strange to me at first, but there a few things that I missed about the Dush.
1. The MUCH lower prices of food and clothing in comparison to Germany.
2. The easy, shared taxi system.
3. Honey Lemon Tea.
4. Baklava from Merve
5. My crazy Russian neighbor that I cant understand, but always makes me smile.

Overall, I had a great time in Germany.  I had a fantastic time and of course, would still love to end up teaching and living there one day.


1 comment:

  1. As always, I love to read your blog. It all sounds so exciting and fun. Oh, to be young again.

    I know it is difficult at times, but those times are the ones that make you appreciate the good times.

    Miss ya, love Dale and Rochelle

    ReplyDelete